"I Smell Gas"
If you think you smell a gas leak, please follow these
- Evacuate everyone from the building.
- Call your local propane
provider and the fire department from a neighbor's
- Turn off the supply at the tank.
To find out what propane gas smells like, contact your
local Payne Oil office to have a
“Propane Users Safety Guide” mailed to you.
Quick tips to avoid a gas leak:
- Make sure all bleeders are shut off – if you need
help locating the bleeder, contact your
local Payne Oil office and we
will show you how to check it.
- Know where gas lines are located, so you won't
damage them when digging or working in the yard.
- Change or clean filters regularly as recommended by
- Don’t store cleaning fluids, oil-soaked rags,
gasoline, or other flammable liquids near a gas-burning
appliance where vapors could be ignited by the pilot
You can also visit the
Propane Education & Research Council’s Safety section to
find out more.